This blog post takes you on a trip around the world through the eyes of the 31 most famous nature photographers in 2023. In their own ways, each of these artists helps us learn more about the beauty and variety of nature. Whether you’re a photography fan who wants to be inspired, a professional shooter who wants to learn more about mastery or just a lover of beauty and nature, this collection can help you. If you’re a true fan of the blog, you’ll notice this list has some overlap with the most Famous Photographers to know in 2023.
Getting to know about these well-known nature photographers is helpful in many ways. They set the trends, push the limits, and are always coming up with new ways to take scenery and nature photos. By looking at their work and ideas, we can better understand and respect their art, learn from their skills, and be inspired to improve our own skills or just appreciate nature more.
Table of Contents
What Makes a Landscape Photographer Stand Out?
As a big fan of the art form, I can say with certainty that each famous landscape photographer’s work has something that makes it stand out. What makes them stand out is their unique style, which is a mix of their own tastes, professional skills, and a deep understanding of the natural world. They carefully choose their gear, which is often a signature mix of cutting-edge technology and old-school film cameras that shows off their creativity and skill.
The pick of location is also very important. The most successful shooters are drawn to places that speak to their artistic sense, whether it’s the dramatic peaks of a mountain range, the peaceful solitude of a remote forest, or the dynamic, always-changing coastline. The ability to capture a place’s spirit, including its light and shadow, patterns, and textures, is what makes the difference between a good picture and a truly memorable one.
Nature is, of course, the most important part of any landscape picture. This isn’t just about taking pretty landscape photos; it’s about catching nature’s essence, its stories, and its ability to change. Every forest, desert, lake, or peak has its own story, and it’s the job of the photographer to tell that story through their lens.
Their work isn’t just about how it looks; it’s also a message about the beauty of the world and the need to protect and care for it. From what I’ve seen, the most powerful nature photos are those that draw you in and make you feel like you’re part of the scene. They also make you feel like you’re part of a bigger, more beautiful world. Landscape photographers are really special because they have a mix of art, skill, and care for the environment.
Top 31 Most Famous Landscape Photographers in 2023
1. Ansel Adams
Ansel Adams was an American photographer and environmentalist who was born in 1902. He was known for his black-and-white scenery photos of the American West. He was an important part of making photography an accepted art form.
- Adams’s unique style is based on perfect control of exposure and sharpness, and his photos often have a wide range of color values.
- “Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico” and the “Yosemite” series are two of his most well-known works.
- Adams won a lot of awards, and in 1980, he was given the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
- His work to protect the earth had a lasting effect on the world of photography and beyond.
2. Galen Rowell
Galen Rowell was a famous American wilderness photographer and climber who lived from 1940 to 2002. He was best known for his bright and beautiful photos of the High Sierra and other foreign mountain ranges around the world.
- Rowell’s way of taking landscape photos was unique because he was both athletic and adventurous. He often took pictures from vantage places that only skilled climbers could reach.
- “Rainbow over the Potala Palace, Tibet” is one of his famous works that shows a picture from one of his travels.
- In 1984, Rowell was given the Ansel Adams Award for his work in the art of outdoor photography.
- His love of adventure photography and concern for the environment influenced a whole generation of shooters and people who care about the environment.
3. Peter Lik
Peter Lik, an Australian photographer, is known for his wide, dramatic views.
Lik’s work is often full of bright colors, sharp contrasts, and wide-angle views
- “Phantom,” a black-and-white picture of Antelope Canyon, is one of his most well-known works.
- Lik has won the Windland Smith Rice International Award and has been accepted into the Royal Photographic Society.
- His work in large-format photography has had a big impact on the field.
4. David Muench
David Muench is an American photographer who was born in 1936 and is known for his work in the U.S. National Parks.
Muench’s style often has things in the foreground that draw the eye into a large scene.
- His book “Plateau Light,” which has pictures of the Colorado Plateau, is well-known.
- In 2017, the North American Nature Photography Association gave him the Lifetime Achievement Award for his work.
- He took a lot of pictures of the American environment and wrote a lot about it. His work has had an effect on both photography and conservation.
5. Art Wolfe
Art Wolfe is an American photographer who takes pictures of nature, people, and places. Wolfe’s special way of doing things is a mix of photojournalism and an artistic view.
- “Art Wolfe’s Travels to the Edge,” a popular TV show, is one of his most well-known works.
- Wolfe has won many prizes, such as Nature’s Best Photographer of the Year.
- His work raises people’s knowledge of problems with the environment and promotes global conservation.
6. Sebastião Salgado
Sebastio Salgado, a Brazilian photographer who was born in 1944, is known for his deep black-and-white photos. His unique style is made up of black-and-white pictures with a lot of contrast that tell deep stories about people and the environment.
- His important works include the picture series “Workers,” “Migrations,” and “Genesis.”
- Salgado has won many awards, including the prestigious W. Eugene Smith Award and several World Press Photo awards.
- His powerful pictures have made a big difference, especially in bringing attention to the human situation and environmental issues.
- Famous Quote: “What I want is the world to remember the pictures.”
7. Charlie Waite
Charlie Waite is a British nature photographer who is known for taking photos that are calm, well-balanced, and carefully put together. His unique style features a lot of soft light and a strong focus on putting things together in a way that looks good.
- His photos of the British and European countryside are some of his most well-known works.
- In 2014, he got the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Royal Photographic Society.
- His work has had a big effect on landscape photography, especially in the UK, and he has made a big difference in teaching landscape photography.
8. Michael Kenna
Michael Kenna, who was born in 1953 and is British and American, is known for his black and white simple landscapes. Kenna’s unique style is marked by long exposure times, which create strange, ghostly images.
- His works include a lot of picture collections from places like Japan, France, and the U.S., with “Japan” being one of his most well-known collections.
- In 1981, he won the Imogen Cunningham Award, and he has also won a number of other honors in fine art photography.
- Landscape photographers have been inspired by Kenna’s minimalist style and careful attention to tonal balance.
9. Thomas Heaton
Thomas Heaton is a British landscape photographer and YouTuber who is known for his bright photos and for sharing his work and travels on his famous channel.
Heaton’s method of landscape photography is slow and careful, and he often has to wait for a long time to get the right light or weather.
- His most well-known work is his YouTube movies that show his process, adventures, and beautiful photos.
- As of 2021, he hasn’t won any big awards for photography, but his success on YouTube is a new kind of honor in the digital age.
- Many aspiring photographers have been inspired by Heaton’s videos that teach and inspire.
10. Marc Adamus
Marc Adamus is an American landscape photographer who is known for making pictures of nature that are dramatic and make you feel like you are there.
His style is known for its bright colors, dramatic lighting, and immersive views.
- He often spends a lot of time in the field and in the editing room.
- Adamus’s portfolio includes everything from the deserts of the American Southwest to the mountains of Alaska and the Canadian Rockies.
- His work has won awards at several photography contests and has been published in well-known magazines.
- Many photographers have been inspired by his unique style and his dedication to taking pictures in wild, remote places.
11. Eliot Porter
Eliot Porter was an American photographer who lived from 1901 to 1990. He was best known for his vivid pictures of nature. Porter had a unique style that included coming up with new ways to use color in photography and having a good eye for the small details in scenery and animals.
- One of his best-known books is “The Place No One Knew: Glen Canyon on the Colorado.”
- Porter got a Guggenheim award in 1941, and his work has been shown in a lot of places.
- Because of his work with color photography and concern for the environment, he is a well-known person in the world of photography.
12. Frans Lanting
The Dutch photographer Frans Lanting is known for his pictures of animals and nature. Lanting’s approach to nature photography is marked by a strong love for nature and a sharp eye for capturing how animals act.
- Eye to Eye: Intimate Encounters with the Animal World,” a book of his photographs, is one of his most well-known works.
- He has won a lot of awards, like BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year and the Ansel Adams Award from the Sierra Club.
- Lanting’s work has made a big difference in nature photography and the protection of wildlife.
13. Andreas Gursky
Andreas Gursky is a German photographer who was born in 1955. He is known for his large-format photos that are often changed digitally. Gursky’s style is characterized by a high point of view, careful attention to detail, and an interest in the structures of a worldwide economy.
- His picture “Rhein II” became one of the most expensive pictures ever sold at auction.
- He has had a lot of shows, and his work is in a lot of big places around the world.
- Gursky’s impact can be seen in the way he was one of the first fine art photographers to use digital editing.
14. Clyde Butcher
Clyde Butcher is an American photographer who is often called the “Ansel Adams of the Everglades.” He is known for his large-format black-and-white photos of the American scenery, especially the Everglades in Florida.
- Butcher has a unique style that is made up of a lot of detail, large compositions, and a strong focus on light and shade.
- Some of his most well-known works are the “America the Beautiful” series and his moving pictures of the Everglades.
- Butcher has won a number of awards, including The Sierra Club’s Ansel Adams Conservation Award.
- His pictures have been a very important part of attempts to protect the Florida Everglades.
15. Yann Arthus-Bertrand
Yann Arthus-Bertrand is a French photographer and environmentalist who is known all over the world for his amazing flying photos. His style is special because he paints from a bird’s-eye view, capturing the vast beauty and complexity of the Earth and its many different people.
- “Home,” a book and movie project, is one of his most important works. It takes you on a beautiful visual trip around the world.
- Arthus-Bertrand has won many awards for his photography and his work to raise knowledge about the environment. One of these is the Legion of Honor, which is France’s highest order of merit.
- His work has had a big impact on both aerial pictures and the fight for the environment.
16. Joe Cornish
Joe Cornish is a well-known British landscape photographer who is known for his beautiful pictures of the UK’s natural environment. Cornish has a unique style that combines traditional landscape photography techniques with a modern eye. This gives him pictures that show the timeless beauty and steady change of nature.
- His book “First Light: A Landscape Photographer’s Art” is one of the most famous things he has done.
- Cornish is an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society and has been a finalist in the prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition more than once.
- His impact can be seen in his work with modern landscape photography and his dedication to teaching photography.
17. Alex Noriega
Alex Noriega is a famous American nature photographer who is known for his surreal and simple style.
His style is known for the careful way he uses light, color, and composition to make abstract scenes that look like they came from a dream.
- Some of Noriega’s most well-known pieces are of the American West.
- He has won many prizes, including the 2015 USA Landscape Photographer of the Year award.
- A new generation of photographers has been inspired by the way he thinks about and often abstractly draws landscapes.
18. Rachael Talibart
Rachael Talibart is a British photographer who is best known for her emotional and strong pictures of ocean landscapes. Talibart’s unique style comes from how much she loves the sea. This gives her pictures a sense of drama and intimacy.
- Her “Sirens” series, which shows huge ocean waves as mythical animals, is one of her most famous works.
- Black+White Photography Magazine named Talibart the 2018 Black and White Photographer of the Year.
- Her creative way of painting seascapes has given the genre a new look.
19. Daniel Kordan
Daniel Kordan, a Russian landscape shooter, is known for his stunning pictures of nature, such as mountains, forests, and starry skies at night. Kordan’s style is marked by how beautifully he uses natural light and how well he captures the grandeur and beauty of nature.
- His photos of the Salar de Uyuni salt flats in Bolivia are some of his most famous works.
- Kordan has been featured by National Geographic and is well-known on Instagram, where he has millions of fans and shares his beautiful photos.
- Through his photography classes and tours, he has helped aspiring photographers learn and grow, which shows how important and influential he is in the world of photography.
20. Jimmy Chin
Jimmy Chin is a skilled climber, mountaineer, skier, and photographer. He is known for taking beautiful pictures in some of the world’s most dangerous places. His style of photography is marked by his adventurous spirit and his ability to capture the strength of people in beautiful settings.
- He is known for his work as a photographer for National Geographic and as the director of the documentary films “Meru” and “Free Solo,” which won an Academy Award for “Free Solo.”
- Chin has won a lot of awards, including the Guild of Music Supervisor Award for Best Music Supervision in a Documentary, for his work in photography and movies.
- Adventure photographers and directors have been moved by his work.
21. David Yarrow
David Yarrow is a British fine-art photographer, conservationist, and author who is known for his beautiful black-and-white photos of wildlife and remote settings. Yarrow’s style is marked by the way he draws the listener in. He often shoots from the ground, which gives his subjects a unique view.
- His book “Wild Encounters” has pictures from seven countries that show how beautiful and dangerous animals can be.
- His work has been shown all over the world and is in many collections. He is known as one of the world’s best-selling fine art shooters.
- The work of Yarrow brings attention to conservation and environmental problems, which has a big effect outside of the art world.
22. Annie Griffiths
Annie Griffiths is an American reporter. She was one of the first women to work for National Geographic as a photographer. Her style is marked by the way she can tell deep, human stories set against beautiful landscapes.
- Griffiths’s job has taken her to more than a hundred different countries, where she has taken pictures of everything from Lawrence of Arabia’s Hejaz Railway to Saudi Arabian women’s secret lives.
- She has won awards from the Associated Press, the White House News Photographers Association, and the National Press Photographers Association.
- Griffiths’s work and attempts to use photography to help people have made a big difference in the world of photography and beyond.
23. Steve McCurry
Steve McCurry is an American photographer who is known for his powerful color photos that show people’s pain and happiness. When McCurry takes pictures of nature, he often looks at them through the lens of human experience. This lets him make pictures that are very moving.
- “Afghan Girl,” which was on the cover of National Geographic magazine, is his most well-known piece.
- McCurry has won some of the most important prizes in his field, such as the Robert Capa Gold Medal.
- His impact goes far beyond the world of photography, and his pictures give us a look into different cultures and wars around the world.
24. Max Rive
Max Rive is an adventurer and nature photographer from the Netherlands who is known for his stunning photos of mountains. Rive’s style is defined by how big and dramatic the light is in the mountain scenes he shoots.
- Some of his most famous works are pictures of the European Alps, Patagonia, and the Himalayas.
- He has won a lot of awards, including the International Landscape Photographer of the Year award.
- Rive’s work makes people feel amazed by the beauty of nature and has inspired a new crop of adventure photographers.
25. Paul Nicklen
Paul Nicklen is a Canadian photographer who is known for his amazing pictures of animals and polar areas. His unique style comes from the way he gets close to the animals he photographs. For example, he often dives under polar ice or chases after predators to get his amazing pictures.
- Nicklen’s most famous works show how climate change has changed the Arctic and Antarctic in ways that are both beautiful and terrible.
- On his long list of awards are the BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year and the World Press Photo for Photojournalism, both of which are very important.
- His photography is a strong way to advocate for the environment because it shows how urgent climate change is and how important it is to protect nature.
26. Albert Dros
Albert Dros is a Dutch landscape photographer who is known for the way he uses light and color to make pictures that look like they came from a fairytale. His style is marked by careful planning, technical skill, and a sharp eye for dramatic and atmospheric effects.
- Dros is known all over the world for his collection of beautiful pictures from his home country, the Netherlands.
- His work has been in a lot of foreign magazines and newspapers, from Time to the Huffington Post.
- Dros’s photography classes and tutorials have helped teach and inspire aspiring photographers all over the world.
27. Cristina Mittermeier
Cristina Mittermeier is a photographer who was born in Mexico and is interested in how society and the environment interact. Her style often shows the strong story of the people or things she paints, capturing both their beauty and their fight in the face of environmental problems.
- Mittermeier is known for her hauntingly beautiful pictures of the Kayapo people of the Amazon and her work with native cultures in coastal towns around the world.
- She has won many awards for her work, including the Smithsonian Photographer of the Year and the Mission Award from the North American Nature Photography Association.
- Mittermeier’s influence can be seen in her powerful photos and in the fact that she helped start SeaLegacy, a group that uses stories to protect the oceans.
28. Elia Locardi
Elia Locardi is an American landscape and trip photographer who has become a digital nomad and travels all over the world to take pictures of its beauty. His style is often described by how well he uses light and how he can capture and show the spirit of the places he goes.
- Locardi is known for his beautiful photos of Iceland, Japan, and Italy, as well as his popular “moments in time” series.
- He is known for both his photography and his teaching. His informative tutorials and classes have made a big difference in the community.
- He has a big impact on his large online group, where he shares both his photos and his knowledge, which helps a lot of photographers all over the world.
29. Johan Lolos
Johan Lolos is a well-known photographer who was born in Belgium. He is known for his beautiful travel and scenery photos. His style is characterized by bright colors, wide views, and a sense of excitement that comes through in his work.
- His pictures of Australia, where he spent a year traveling and taking pictures, made him famous around the world.
- Many publications have written about Lolos, and the fact that he is getting more and more famous on Instagram shows how important he is in the field of landscape photography.
30. Chris Burkard
Chris Burkard is an American artist and photographer who lives in California. His work is filled with themes like the outdoors, adventure, surfing, and everyday life.
His unique style means that he often takes photos of dramatic scenery in unusual weather or lighting, giving them an otherworldly feel.
- Burkard’s most famous works are probably his stunning photos of people surfing in cold water. These photos show how good he is at capturing extreme sports in extreme situations.
- Burkard has had a big impact on scenery and adventure photography with his many books, awards, and huge social media following.
31. Lars van de Goor
Lars van de Goor was a Dutch landscape photographer whose main goal was to show the beauty of our planet by capturing the magic of nature.
- His style often shows woods, and he has a good eye for how light and shadow work together, which makes his pictures look almost magical.
- He made it to the final round of the 2016 Hasselblad Masters, which is one of the most prestigious challenges for professional photographers in the world.
Landscape and nature photography is a very broad and varied field, as shown by the different styles, approaches, and topics in the work of the photographers featured in this article. All of these artists have a strong link to nature and a desire to show its beauty and complexity.
Their work ranges from large landscapes to small portraits of animals to quiet moments of reflection. By showing us their work, they not only give us something beautiful to look at, but they also remind us of how important it is to keep these areas in good shape for future generations.
As we come to the end of our tour of the work of these 31 well-known landscape photographers, we encourage you to dig deeper, look through their galleries, and maybe get ideas for your own photo trips. Don’t forget that every shooter started with a single shot, and you never know where your first click will take you.
Is there a landscape photographer that I have missed? Which photographer inspires you the most? Let me know in the comments.